Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Where Did All the Blockbusters Go?

In China, the equivalent to Blockbuster Video is the bootleg DVD shops. And as I mentioned before they are all closing because of the Olympic crack downs, I also mentioned that the only one that is probably open is in The Tuan (The Tuan is Sanlituan and from here on out and forever going forth will only be known as The Tuan), but I was so wrong about that, well...sort of. The other day, I went to The Tuan to meet the Golzer for some drinks at Saddle, more about that in like five more sentences. But because I arrived early, I had some time to kill and decided to check out the DVD story that is pretty popular in The Tuan, well it used to be anyway. Upon arrival, I look in and the place looks almost completely empty, except for a few Chinese DVDs in the front of the store. I see this lone girl standing, in the store and ask her where are all the dvds. She looks at me looks outside left to right and the says follow me. As I am following her and not knowing where she is taking me except that I can tell it is to the back of the store to some room, she is constantly looking over here shoulder. I am like okay, this is shady, but whatever its China. We go threw one door that leads outside and then another that looks like an apartment and through this apartment looking door is pretty much where the whole DVD store has moved to. It looks almost exactly like the old store accept the room is slightly more narrow. I think they were working on a secret knock when I left.

After learning the secret knock, I met the Golzer at Saddle. It is this new hip new Mexican place. That I have kept seeing from Kokomos and could never figure out exactly how to get to it. The entrance is hidden by the blatantly obvious. I heard from someone one who heard from someone else that a Mexican said it is the best Mexican food in Beijing. So I will take that is fact. And it is definitely the best authentic Mexican food I have had in China. What makes the place great is not its nice outdoor seating and not even its bucket of 5 Sol beers for 100 kuai (which I don't think is that great of a deal), but what makes the place great is on Tuesdays, they have special for three big ass tacos for 40 kuai. And you get your choose of chicken, beef, poor, or veggie filling. The veggie filling was my favorite. Definitely, a good place to go on a Tuesday to have a quick drunk happy hour. If you go, make sure you go with Jimmy, he's crazy.

Today, I had a nice debate something I have absolutely no idea about, like most of the the time, with a Chinese female colleague, who is probably much more knowledgeable about the subject because she has a kid, about pregnancy. We were having a debate about how long pregnancy last. I was saying like I was taught in health class that pregnancy last 9 months and she was saying like she was probably told from her doctor when she was pregnant or from experience that it last 10 months. And I was like no way that is crazy, why do Chinese people stay pregnant longer? I was like in the states it is 9 months. I was like how are Chinese people different? But finally after another female colleague chimed in who recently had a baby and googling it, the correct answer is 40 weeks which translates to about 9 months and ten days depending on a leap year. So we were both wrong, but I was more right if you round.

Highlight of the Day: My sister finally turned 35 and I can't wait to make fun of how old she is.

2 comments:

Ben said...

You gotta brush up on your pinyin. It's Sanlitun not Sanlituan. Which would make it The Tun. Or The Tun'r if you want to be authentic.

Jimmy said...

yeah, i was similarly shocked to find out that pregnancy is longer than 9 months... and i also argued w/ a lady w/ a baby about it