Tuesday, January 04, 2011

How I learned to stop worrying and love Chinese TV

I don't watch a lot of Chinese television, but the past couple weeks I've flipped it on for entertainment when I have a few minutes to kill here and there. One show I keep coming across is this game show that pits teams divided by nationality against each other on colorful obstacle courses that generally lead to hilarious pratfalls. But recently the producers of the show decided to turn it up a notch by throwing an angry bull into the mix! I recorded one round where contenstants have to tangle with the bull while trying to pop balloons in a ball pit. Apologies to those outside of China; this video might load a bit slow.

(If the video doesn't show up you can watch it here)
Only in China! (commentary by me and my roommate Joy)

In other news, I'm gearing up to leave China for a while. As most family and friends know, I'm (fingers crossed) going to architecture school back across the Pacific in the fall. In the meantime the plan is to head down to Australia, where I'll do some traveling, take some classes and work a bit, but mostly just hang out and enjoy the southern hemisphere summer and fall. It's definitely bittersweet leaving Beijing, but I feel like over these three years I've done about as much as I'm going to do this time around, and I'm hugely excited about discovering somewhere completely new. And I'm sure I'll be back in China in no time. It is the new land of opportunity after all.

I still have one more adventure before I leave China: this coming weekend a bunch of us are going to go skiing in Jilin Province in the northeast, and I'm going to head to Harbin the day before to check out the famed ice festival, something I've been wanting to do for years. Basically, it's a quest to get my fill of winter weather before I escape to the southern hemisphere. Keep an eye out for tweets and a post on the trip next week.

And don't worry: I'll keep blogging from Australia.

1 comment:

Clark said...

Can't see video, could you please repost link?