Thursday, October 28, 2010

Back in Red China

I just got back to Red China from pink Hong Kong, and am writing this from a pretty decent internet cafe in Shenzhen. In fact, I think this is the same net cafe I used when I was in Shenzhen for a couple hours five years ago. It looks a bit different but the location is pretty much the same. I came into Shenzhen today to buy my train tickets to Guilin, and I'm gonna stay here for a night before heading back to HK with Conor, who's flying in from Xinjiang tomorrow. If he makes it out alive!
 
The trip with my parents was great. They just flew back to San Francisco this morning. Tibet was really cool, and Hong Kong was a good place to let my body recover from the high altitude, dry air and harsh wind of pretty much two weeks on the Tibetan plateau. Also I didn't mention earlier but prior to meeting my parents when I was in northeastern Sichuan I was pretty damn sick. I'm finally over that too. So I'm back and good to go for another few weeks of travel, before finally packing it in and heading back to Beijing.
 
There's not much to report specifically about the last couple days. Hong Kong is the same as ever, or so it seems. I'll have to compare my photos of the skyline from five years ago to the ones I just took to see if anything really changed. Otherwise it's the same swank, fun, expensive place.
 
Conor has a line on an unfurnished apartment we can stay at for the next couple days, but unless we can steal some wireless I'll probably be incommunicado for a week or so. So until then, keep on rocking in the free world. I'll do my best in semi-free Hong Kong.

No comments: