Friday, October 01, 2010

Beijing Traffic Signs

I have been meaning to take pictures of and make a post about these traffic signs for a while, but since I don't own a camera, it was hard for me to take them. Also life just always gets in the way of everything, and by life, I mean my laziness.



In theory I know what this traffic sign means. I think it means don't drive down this street or don't park on this street, but since I saw cars parked on the street with this sign, I don't really know. Maybe it just means don't park under this sign, because there were no cars directly underneath the sign, just around it.


I know what this sign means. No left turn. However, knowing how people drive in this capitol, I am pretty sure it is never obeyed, and I don’t just say that because I was recently hit by a car.

Now, this sign, I have no idea what this sign means. This sign could mean anything. I should ask Golze because he has his Chinese driver’s license. I think it means no car bombs or it means no shooting flames out of the back of your car. I think the former because I mostly see it around embassies and office buildings.
This is just a view from my apartment window of Chaoyang Park and Solana. Unfortunately, Beijing doesn’t have enough of those clear blue sky days, and also unfortunately, summer has ended and autumn has arrived, so no more green park to look at, just the barren wasteland of East Beijing. And by barren wasteland, I mean all the high rise buildings off in the distance.

2 comments:

Ben said...

That last one is one of the great mysteries of Beijing. It was not in my driver's license test study guide.

The Chinese guy said...

It means no explosives in cars. Which is relevant when there is a lot of construction activity ot a military barracks nearby. When they demo a building such signs are put around them.