Saturday, October 23, 2010

A short missive from Tibet

I'm gonna keep this real short, since I have other things to do (sleep), and we've only been here for a couple days. The short of it is: it's pretty awesome here. No matter what the average Chinese person tells you, it is not cold in Tibet in late October. As far as I can tell, it's warmer in central Tibet than it is in Beijing right now, and it is definitely warmer than where I was in northeastern Sichuan. The days have been clear and beautiful, like a postcard. Of course it's a bit chilly on top of the passes, but what do you expect at 4900 meters (16,000 ft)?
 
So I met my parents on the train in Lanzhou, and had a nice relaxing ride into Lhasa. We spent two nights in Lhasa then took a long drive through spectacular scenery to Shigatse, where we are right now. I came here expecting more of the same from my Qinghai/Sichuan travels this fall, but the scale of the landscape really makes it feel like you're on the roof of the world, and there's a certain energy that reinforces that you're at the center of Tibetan Buddhism and culture. These things are missing from other Tibetan areas in China, despite their own goings on. What Tibet also has, unfortunately, is loads of tourists (not as bad as July-September, I hear), and a ridiculous permitting system that since 2008 requires all foreigners to be on guided tours at all times. These things I could do without.
 
Look for lots of pictures once I get back to Beijing!

No comments: