Friday, January 28, 2005

Buying Toothpaste in China.

When buying toothpaste in China, I have discovered you have two options. One, don’t ask the salesperson what the differences between these two toothpaste because she probably won’t understand that the two toothpastes are different in a very important way. Or two, you can buy an expensive toothpaste and not be cheap like me. Or I guess you have a third option and that is read the label carefully but that tends to be hard when everything is in Chinese and you can’t understand anything. Why haven’t we studied any words like tartar and cavity? Those would have been useful, but no we study Euthanasia Bill and a married woman’s parent’s home. I mean when am I ever going to use these words. But back to the point of the story, when in China it is very important that you know what you are buying, especially when it is toothpaste. Because you can end up buying a whole of Tea Flavored toothpaste like my friend Ma Du. And from what I hear Tea Flavored toothpaste is not that great. I do not know why that salesclerk did not tell that toothpaste was tea flavored. You look on the box and it has these little leaves that look like they are mint leaves but no. They are tealeaves. How gross is that. Next time I will read the box more carefully, I did think that the Chinese character for tea on there was a little unusually and I was also wondering why the box was yellow. I had never seen a yellow Crest toothpaste. But now I know and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe taught me that.

No comments: