Friday, January 14, 2005

So this is China

I have been in China for about a week and a half. And have seen many sites around the neighborhood that is by my school. I think my favorite thing to do is go to the clothing markets and bargain with the people. I have done many things while I have been here in this short amount of time. For example, I went to Tiananmen square, I went to a Buddhist temple named Yong He Gong, and I have eaten different kinds of Chinese food. But I would have to say that the highlight of the trip so far was when all my friends left me behind and I had to go out on my own. It was the first time that I actually felt like I was in China. Because before that it just felt like I was in a big Chinatown. While I was on my own, it was fun because I was forced to use all my Chinese knowledge, which isn't that much, I have quickly discovered. When I was on my own I got to bargain with people in Guan Yuan market, I ate my first Dan Gao, it is a muffin type thing, and I also got to chat with many Chinese people. The best part of my solo adventure was when I went in to this small village type place and saw this shopkeeper watching the Houston Rockets play the Lakers. It was the best part because I got chat with him about all sort of things. He was a cool guy and really liked basketball. I want to go back there and chat with if I can find that place. I forgot to mention that the whole time I was lost, but it was still fun.

No comments: