Thursday, January 20, 2005

How to Succeed at Being Sick in Communist China

Just let me tell you from experience, that being sick in Communist China sucks. Yesterday, I had a bad fever and along with that La Duzi. For those who are reading this that don't speak Chinese, La Duzi is "the runs". I do not know how I got La Duzi, because I have been eating the same thing as everyone else that I hang out with and they have had no problem with their food. Even though I was sick yesterday it was not so bad, because all my friends made sure that I was ok and helped to make me feel better, especially the Chinese roommates and Clark. The Chinese roommate are so nice and help you with everything. In America, if I was sick, I do not think I would have got the treatment that I got yesterday. It was nice to know that I had people watching my back. But other than being sick this week, my time in China has been great. Last weekend, I got to go to the Great Wall. It was magnificent, majestic even. We went to the part of the Great Wall that not a lot of tourist go to. So it was nice just being there with the Chinese roommates and my classmates. Also last weekend I went to a place call Bei Hai Gong Yuan. It is a park that has a big lake and some Buddhist temple on top of a hill. I really don't know how to describe this place but it was pretty. After going to Bei Hai, I want to a hu tong in the area. Hu tongs are old style neighborhoods. They have a communist Beijing look to them. The best part of going to the hu tong was seeing this old man ice fishing on the river, he was partly fishing, partly talking to the fish, and partly drink his beer. It was an interesting thing to watch. The last thing I did this weekend was go out with my roommate (Zhou Guan Wei) and his friend to LiuLiChang and to the gate of Gu Gong, Gu Gong is the forbidden City. I only went to the gate of Gu Gong because it is really expensive to enter. It is only 40 Kuai which like 5 dollars. But since I have come to China I have become extremely cheap. I do not know why. It has actually happened to all my friends. For some reason China makes you very cheap. Well, I can't think of anything else to write but apologize if my grammar and spelling have a lot of mistakes. I think I am starting to forget English.

No comments: