Friday, January 21, 2005

Is Lassie Biting Back?

Today, I came to the realization maybe my stomach has been acting fun because of the dog meat that I ate this week. And maybe, my stomach is not used to that kind of food? Hmmmm. Dog meat taste like beef and at home I do not eat beef, so maybe my stomach has been acting funny because of that. However, Lassie still tasted pretty good if you like beef.
Another thing about the food or should I say drink here is that beer is cheaper than pop and even bottled water. I think the Chinese government wants its people in a perpetually state of drunkenness. At least it seems that some of the people are in that state by the way they drive here. I swear everyday ate least three times a day, I almost get hit by a car. The drivers here do not care about pedestrians, all they care about is where they are going. At times crossing the street can be very scary. It is almost like playing frogger or pacman. But back to the main topic, the beer. At home, I do not drink beer, matter a fact I have the taste of it. But since I have been in China, I have been drinking it a lot when I go to restaurants. This is mainly because some restaurants do not have "Kai Shui", boiled water. And if the restaurant does not have kai shui, we can not drink the tea or the tap water, because tap water will give you la duzi. I realize that I could order a pop, but remember pop is way more expensive than beer, so we all normally order the beer. The beer here is not bad. Every province in China has its own special beer. And I must say with some regret I have become accustomed to drinking Yanjing Pijiu, Yanjing is the name brand and pijiu is Chinese for beer.
On an unrelated note, Today I want with some Tongxuemen (fellow students) and our Chinese roommates to buy a cell phone. I am so glad our Chinese roommates came with us, because with out them we would have been absolute lost, not only in Beijing but in our minds. The people working at the cell phone place talked so fast and used so many words that I didn't know. I mean how often does the text book have words like telephone charger and Simm Card. Let me tell you, not very often. Since our Chinese roommates where there everything worked out fine and I bought the cheapest cell phone I could find, 一共是六百六元. It is not he prettiest looking phone but it will do. If any of you figure out how to give China a phone call or you have the money to do this, my cell phone number is 137-18-773-014. Holla.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Dmack, whats good, its skip. I hope you are having fun out there, take full advantage of the opportunity. I was reading over your posted comments and they are crazy. Well, i hope everything is going well for you. It is not the same without you. Everybody says hi and i dont know how to call the number you listed but, i will find a way.

Anonymous said...

james sent me the link to this site and i'm glad to hear you're doing well. i really wanted to talk more before you left and i'm sorry we got cut off when i was in florida. anyway i have finally reached a level of sanity that i thought you would be proud of and i wanted to let you know. hearing that you've eaten dog disturbed me a bit but i think i'll survive. be safe ok? i am so proud of you. take care, you'll be in my prayers.
emily