Monday, August 04, 2008

Beijing's Beach


This weekend I went to Tuanjiehu Park. Out of all the parks that I have been to, it is by far the best. It has a lake with bright green water, but that is pretty standard for bodies of water in side the third ring.

I am not really sure how anything survives in the water around here, but it is pretty full of mutant three eyed goldfish. I think Mr. Burns chemical plant dumps in to the lake here.
The best part of this park is the artificial beach that they have on the inside of the park. It is the most jacked Chinese people that I have ever seen. They looked like they could at least have been on the Olympic diving team, but maybe it was the fact that they were all wearing some form of speedos is why I thought that. It is no Brazilian beach, but for Beijing it is a great way to get some sun on a non polluted day. And this weekend was great because you could actually see blue skies, Today not so much.

For those of you interested in Beijing taxis, Sunday was the start of all the cabdrivers wearing bright yellow shirts with matching blue and yellow stripped ties. At the start of the day, all the taxi drivers, except for a few mavericks, were wearing their yellow and blue ties with the top button of their shirt unbutton. By the end of the day all the ties were off and the shirts were open to the second button. At this rate, today none of them should be wearing the shirts anymore. I didn't check today, but I am eager to see how long this yellow shirt craze last.

In my ego getting boosted news, a few weeks ago, I went to dinner with a Chinese friend that has just moved from Hangzhou to Beijing. While we were at dinner, we were both speaking to the waitress in Chinese, which is customer here in Beijing. However, something surprising happened while we were at dinner, the waitress, had a better time understanding me than my Chinese friend from Hangzhou. At convinced me one, that not even Chinese people can learn proper Chinese and I should give up trying to learn more, and two that these four years of learning this anserine language when I could have easily learned at least two others fluently.

Highlight of the Day: I final figured out how to watch planet earth online.

No comments: