Friday, November 23, 2007

The Day Before Yesterday

On Wednesday, I went to the Bookworm to hear poetry from a relatively well known poet named Paddy Bushe. He read many of his poems, but the poem that jumped out at me the most was from his book The Ghost Man, the poem is titled "We come..." It jumped out at me because it reminded me of something my co-work told me about my maid, it made me sad think for her situation. Apparently, she has a child that lives in Sichuan where she is from, that is only ten years old. When I heard that I was like wtf. Why does she live him their by himself? Why doesn't she bring him with her? And she simple said she can't afford it. And apparently her husband is here in Beijing too. So the child lives with some family and doesn't get to see his parents. Probing more, I came to find out this is the plight of many kids that live in the countryside in China. Their parents live them in the countryside, so they can find work and hopefully send back money. While, I am sad that she has been forced to abandon her kid, my selfish side is quite happy that I have a maid that can come twice a week for fifty dollars a month.

Anyway, walking down the road to work that I have talked about in too many post. I have realized this may be the cleanest road in China now. The change from when I first got her is amazing. The road is so clean, that the people use the ash trays on top of the garbage cans they installed. I was shocked when I saw that. And what shocked me even more, was the fact there was no spit on the side walk. I don't know how they accomplished this, especially because it has not rained recently. But I was amazed when I realized it.

Oh and yesterday, I finally figured out what the guards are pretending to guard. Apparently there is so international boxing event going on in Workers Gymnasium. But, that doesn't explain the army present there. So I think it is a front. I still think that is where they keep the aliens.

No comments: