Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Revelation 1371

I have realized that when I talk walks and listen to music, I come up with the greatest insights about myself. For example, today I when I was walking to meet some friends for a cheap Chinese dinner, I realized that their is nothing I do really well. I am just really the epitome of mediocracy. I am the type of person that knows a little bit about a lot, instead of being someone who knows a lot about a little. I don't know what is better, but I think I would prefer the latter. Even though, that is a sad realization since there has been at least over a hundred thousand dollars invested in my education up to this point. But this fact and the fact that I like to watch pointless droll on youtube came in handy today.

What happened, and it also informed to the fact that I need a roommate (this occurrence, the number of times I have almost slipped and cracked my head on the floor or some sharp corner while getting out of the shower), is I locked myself out of my apartment again. The first time was okay, because it was during the day on a week day and someone could bring me the key from the office. But today it was at night, and I had to meet someone to get the key to the office. But here is where my vast watching of youtube and my knowledge of worldly things came in handy. Because the secretary locks her desk everyday and I only had a key to the front door, I had to figure out a way to break into her desk. Luckily, I have had to break in to my own house in the states before and in the past couple of months have watched videos on youtube about picking locks (don't ask why), I knew a thing or two about how locks work. Also, I just finished reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon, which was a big help in my B&E. But because I am not that knowledgeable on locks, I was luck in the fact that it was just at the right difficulty level that my little knowledge (even though I had to use every bit I had) took the lock apart in last then 10 minutes. I went Houdini on that bitch. And I was even able to make it to the restaurant on time for some expensive Chinese food, which I thought I was going to have to miss going around the city looking for the secretary's key to the desk.

Other revelations that I had to day:

Beijing is flippin' cold.

I need better gloves.

And things that I learned about Chinese people recently, oh but before the things I learned about Chinese people recently. I saw the best Christmas decoration display, I have ever saw in China. Albeit it was my first, it was still the best. It rivals some of the ones I have seen in Seattle. This fact is even more impressive when you take into account that Chinese people don't celebrate Christmas.

So what I have learned about Chinese people. They refuse to eat cold things in the winter because it gives them la duzi right after, especially cold water. And after a woman gives birth she is not supposed to shower for a month. That is just wild and beyond me. Oh and they are not allowed to drink anything cold right after giving birth.

What else....

I can't remember, well, I can but I want to go to bed so I will write it some other time. TTFN.

1 comment:

Ben said...

wait. at the beginning of the post you said you were going to a cheap restaurant, but then at the end you said you made it for the expensive chinese food. so which is it? huh?